Thread: Diagnose Me?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Geok

Boone- The greek prononciation is "me-ha-nee-kos" for mechanic. "Me-ha-nee" for machine or closer translation would be motor. "Me-ha-nee-ma" is more appropriate for machine. I know this because Greek is my native language.

For pulling out the axle all you need is the socket for the big axle nut, a punch to knock out the pin holding the axle on the differential side, and a pickle fork to take off the bottom ball joint. You should be able to get more detailed instructions from Motor, Chilton's, or Haynes' Guides unless you're fortunate enough to have the Subaru Dealer's Service Guide. I'll give a basic idea of what's involved here:

Take the wheel off. Knock the pin out till you have enough of it out to grab with a good pair of pliers, pull it out the rest of the way. Remove the lower ball joint nut. Use the pickle fork to get the ball joint loose from the wheel bearing/spindle assembly. Remove the axle nut. Pry the bottom of the spindle assembly away far enough to remove the outer end of the axle. Then pull the other end out from the differential. You put everything back in pretty much the same way you took it apart. Again, this is only a way to give you an idea of what is involved not as a step by step guide.

I would go for the Subaru Remanufactured axles. They come complete and have a one year warranty. They are also consistent in quality. They start with decent cores and remachine what ever needs it. Then they re-assemble everything using new boots, bearings, and grease. I really wouldn't use aftermarket axles unless you know the shop that did the work. Most aftermarket rebuilders use oversize bearings and cheap boots and call it a rebuild. They last a couple of months to year or so. Besides, the genuine Suabaru Remanufactured axles are about the same price as the other aftermarket axles. If you know some one with a shop they can even get you another 25% off of the the retail price.