View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I will be replacing the valve cover seals on AmazonParrot's SVX later this Spring and may do a How-To...but that obviosuly doesn't help you right now.

A quick and dirty how-to is as follows (going from memory as I no longer own an SVX):

(Note - I recommend that you change your oil immediately after doing the valve cover seals as dust, pollen, etc can get into your engine when replacing the seals. If you can, do the swap indoors)

1) Disconnect the battery and remove entirely

2) Remove the airbox, MAF and inlet tube

You'll now have a lot of room to work with on both sides...

3) Unbolt the engine oil filler tube

4) Unbolt the three coil packs per side of the EG33 (get them out of the way)

5) Undo the ten bolts that hold each valve cover on

6) The valve cover should come right off, if not pry gently

7) Take the actual valve cover over to a bench and remove the three rubber seals - they're relatively easily to remove (one goes all around and the other two go around the middle area where the coil packs sit).

8) Take your new seals and replace. Note that the seals are specific to one side of the engine. Don't force the new seals down into the little grooves, but push them in there gently (if rubber is damaged during installation, seal will fail)

9) Replace valve covers and 10 bolts per side (someone chime in here with the torque specs on these bolts - I think it's around 10-14 ft-lbs)

10) Replace coil packs and oil filler tube

11) Replace air tube, MAF, airbox and battery

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)