View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

When I bought my car 5 years ago there were two main things I wanted to do with it: Restore the body and convert to a manual trans. A number of things have come up in the meantime, both mods and repairs. I replaced the engine last fall (Thanks Nate!), swapped in coilover suspension, replaced the original doors that were completely rotten, BBS wheels, custom exhaust, etc etc etc. (See my signiture mod list )

This spring I finally had the opportunity to grab a 6MT with all the bits I need, and last weekend I finally started the swap.

Bring it all home:

Last weekend I started the work, but had some other stuff to take care of on the car first. My parking brake had seized up a while ago, so new cables and rear brakes were the first order of business. I also picked up a set of front calipers, I've been doing impromptu rebuilds on mine since I bought the car and got a little bored with it. The calipers will end up black as well.

Amusingly, the parts guy couldn't believe that the calipers were for a Subaru. Between the size and the dual pistons he was sure they belonged on a Chevy half-ton.

Today I got a bunch done. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Not long for you my old friend...

4EAT out and meeting it's replacement! Anyone want it? Trans jacks are the **** by the way.

My sophisticated engine holding tool. Keeps it from falling forward without the transmission there. (It's one of the bellhousing bolts. Do not try this if you don't have a PWR rad!)

Tomorrow is interior day. Get the shifter and stock pedals out, remove the TCU, all that fun stuff.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:03 AM.