View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM

replaced a bunch of stuff, now won't rev over 3k

Ok, so you're wondering why I posted this here. The reason... it's not on the svx, it's on my other car, an 89 mazda mx-6 turbo.

Some background... I put a new head on the car with new valve seals, some porting, re-lapped valve seats, new HLA's, a bunch of stuff... Also put a new turbo in cause my old one was starting to smoke a bit. Then I also did larger injectors and a fuel pump just because I felt like going to town.

Anyway, got the car all back together and it went really well. Took it out around the block and it wouldn't run over 3k rpms. Well, that's not exactly accurate. Anytime you try to load it down OR rev it over approximately 3k it just stutters. It actually acts exactly like a 2-step rev limiter.

So far I have tried a different distributor, (it houses the crank sensor) new coil, re-checked my timing, air flow meter, cap and rotor, plugs, wires, knock sensor, and still no results. Even suspected my msd 6a, so I unhooked it as well and still nothing! Driving it around without going positive manifold pressure you would never notice a difference. My dad could drive it and he would never know anything is wrong. My spark (at idle anyway) jumps about 1/2" and my fuel pressure and vacuum are both good! Driving back and forth to work (car barely even warms up) it still gets about 18pmg, so I don't think I'm dumping in too much fuel or anything. It just seems like something is pulling spark out of it!!

Anyway, it's just frustrating, and I was just curious if any of you had any good ideas to share with me about what to check.

Computer has also been suggested, but I dunno... I have another I could swap, so I guess it'd be easy to check.

Just let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

-nevin

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 06-06-2010 at 04:09 PM.