View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 01:42 PM
fl_svx

I can do pix too : Pic of the resistor and then Pic of the installation

If the resistor is wrong, someone should be able to read the bands and tell me if it is or is not correct.

The installation is correct, I have no doubt about that. I built aircraft for a living and left Piper Aircraft as a Production Engineer, not trying to impress, just trying to make the point I am not a shade tree mechanic.

The following is my basic understanding of how this system works.

I presume the resistor is used to trick the TCU that there is a resistance in the circuit, too much and it would act the same as the dropping resistor, so the trick is to determine the minimum resistance needed for the TCU to not respond with an error code, indicating in this case an open circuit. With a WOT, the circuit is opened and the dropping resistor is bypassed, or the TCU thinks there is an open circuit and the shifts are firmer. The soldered resistor is still in series and has whatever function it has in that configuration, if any. When the throttle is closed, so does the switch completing the circuit to the dropping resistor and thereby going back to a stock configuration upon decel, doing away with the hunting on decel.

If there was a wiring issue, there would be hunting on decel since the circuit is open. This should be my first clue of a open circuit or wiring issue.

The only thing that makes sense is that the resistance is too low for my TCU. The rationale behind this is simple, if I had low resistance everything would be fine except for the TCU's threshold for believing there was a resistor online. The system would function just fine, since the circuit is still open as the TCU thinks and it believes there is no resistor inline on accelleration. Once the switch closes upon decel, the dropping resistor is online and the TCU thinks there is a dropping resistor. If the same error flashs for both an open circuit AND the shift kit, then it's clear to me the TCU believes there is an open circuit.

The vaccuum adjustment would have no effect on it unless the circuit was always open and then you would know because your shifting would be stock and vice versa.

Now here is another thought, if the TCU believes there is a system fault, what does it do to compensate for it?