View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 10:17 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Master window switch "fix" idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Ages ago I wrote a mini how-to for rebuilding the switches, but it was posted on the other SVX forum which vanished...

From what I remember, the issue wasn't just with the contact resistance, but there are metal clips in the switch which flip back and forth (kind of like "oil canning") and loose their shape after while and no longer touch the contacts. This may mean some switches are just always open, rather than dealing with high resistances at the contact points (although easy to check).

The how-to did contained instructions for bending the contacts back to the right shape. It wasn't hard, but I remember it being a little counter intuitive (like string a bow when you know nothing about bows). Maybe somebody has a copy of the how-to some where? (Or I can write it again when I have deal with a faulty window switch).

I do like the idea of switching to relays or solid-state controls, this give us a lot more flexibility on other modifications (adding remote window windup feature for example).

Good luck!
Ian.
I opened up an old switch and you are right, it is a combination of mechanical and electrical. The metal strips flatten out over time which reduced the force applied to the contacts. And the contacts oxidize over time which increases the resistance.

What I don't know, because I didn't de-solder the thing, is if there is some intelligence in the electronics in there. For example, what enables the auto down and auto up feature? Is there a sensor for when the window stops that senses the increased current draw or is it simply a timer and the limit switch in the motor stops it when it reaches its desitination? My approach would defeat any kind of current sensing.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything