View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Ya, that doesn't really make much sense to me. Anyway, just fyi when you get into running an alcohol rich fuel like e85 afr/lambda becomes much less important than it is with gasoline. With gasoline if you go too rich you loose power. With alcohol if you go too rich you just don't get much more power. The only reason not to run rich with alcohol is it's a waste of fuel. For racing purposes you generally tune much like with diesel--throw in extra fuel just for the **** of it and don't wory about it. This is a result of the much larger spread between lbt and rbt. That would be more fruitful reading for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
From what very little I've read, I've heard that one can either optimise fuel/air ratio by mapping for AFR or by mapping for lambda, but that lambda is more dynamic (i.e. one could map for 0.85 lambda and acheive the same results as mapping for various AFRs over various conditions, WOT, etc.). I'm rather a novice, so I don't know if I understood this correctly or not. I thought it would be like the difference between a logarithmic graph with a straight line (what I understand lambda to be for mapping) and a standard graph with a curve plotted for the same equation (what I understand AFR to be for mapping).

I would totally take you up on that engine to test out the possible benefits of E85, if I had the coin! Is there any way to bump compression on the cheap?