View Single Post
Old 03-25-2001, 04:24 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Talking Sorry guys . . .

. . . I must continue this bicycle thread.

Tober! Balance? What balance? If that was necessary, I couldn't ride 'em. (Everyone who knows me says I'm completely unbalanced.) Actually, a LWB (long wheelbase) recumbent is much like driving a car. You just sit down and steer. So much, in fact, that some high mileage bike riders just can't seem to get the hang of it. If you tense up, you can't ride a straight line. When you relax a little, it just comes naturally. The difference between a LWB and a SWB (short wheelbase - duh) is pronounced. Like between an Eldorado and a Midget. SWB's can be a little skittish until you get used to them. I prefer them because they're generally faster (higher bottom bracket, uh pedals - less frontal area - more efficient ergonomics) and feel sportier. My first LWB was USS (under seat steering) which adds even more to the frontal area (arms hanging at your sides) but is probably a more comfortable bicycle than most people can imagine. USS is cool too, because there's nothing between you and the sky. Kinda like the front seat of a stand-up roller coaster kind of feeling.

Another reason I like my SWB is that I can get it on the SVX, which I could NEVER do with the LWB. It has 20 in. wheels, like a bmx bike and fits upright in my rack and I can even leave the seat on. I'll try to post a pic of the bike on the SVX on the Yahoo site later.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>