View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Subaru HO Engine questions

The tops and bottoms of the cylinders wear more than the sides. When you take them apart you will still see crosshatching all around so many people mistake that to mean the bores are not worn at all. A high miles engine is likely to be .006" out of round.

The lines on timing belt only line up when you install it. As soon as you turn the motor they don't line up anymore except after some magic number of revolutions that puts them back to the original locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Ive always been curious..... since our engines lay flat, does the piston ring and cylinder wall on the bottom side wear out faster since gravity is always pulling the piston down? Or does it balance out from having more lubricant there as opposed to the top of the cylinder for the same reason? And does everyone elses seem to pull much better at high rpm's and feels a little flat in the mid-range??

On a seperate note I had the timing belt yanked and noticed the white lines on the belt did NOT match up to the crank mark and pulley notches, not even close. Is this evidence that it has been replaced previously?? It should come from the factory dialed in right? Ok no more questions from me for a fortnight I swear