View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 05:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Question Need confirmation - rack issues and Duty solenoid C

Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Weather was awesome in the midwest so I finally got a chance to stick the svx on the rack for an in depth look.

1. Trying to figure out where the heck is all that ATF coming from. It's possible that the return hoses are older and slightly seeping/leaking. However, I opened up the two bellows/boot that cover the innder tie rod on the rack and found them full of oil. Interesting thing is that the driv side is totally wet on the outside but the pass side is totally dry on the outside.

Anyway, I guess the inner seal is leaking, which is speweing out ATF. Interesting thing is that I have no power steering degradation. She turns as easily and smoothly as ever.

I normally don't rebuild things of this nature as they'll prolly leak in the future anyway. However, given that the rack is operating well, I was curious as to the possiblity of replacing the seals in question. I suspect that it won't be worth my time and simply have it rebuilt or replaced with a reman unit. What's your consensus on this one? Removing the rack is pretty simple, IMO. So far, I managed to remove everything except the outer tie rod ends. I'll do that tonight. I was pleasantly surprised to only pulled out one out of four exhaust studs! While I'm in there, I'll replace all cat converter gaskets/donuts for that stealth sound!
BTW, what type of rack do I have - electronic or engine speed?

2. I'm experiencing what I suspect is the center diff/viscous coupling a bit unhappy around turns. The car exhibits a "pushing" like feeling during tight turns (left or right). I bet, if I had snow on the road, then I wouldn't be making solid turns! To troubleshoot this, I stuck her in FWD using the fuse, and now she's great.

I presume that my viscous coupling needs some attention? Rather than rehash this all over, please point me to some specific threads that I need to look at, or perhaps some specific key words for the search function. Incidentally, I've never replaced the ATF on this car since I've owner her at 80k. She's got 100k right now. This is one of those things that scared the **** out of me so I've been avoiding the fluid change. However, she does have a tranny filter installed about four years ago. I've had her since '99. I'm planning to leave her in FWD until this issue is resolved. Will this be an issue long term?

Appreciate any insight into this matter. This board had been a valuable asset for me in the past. I've got a hoist so access to underneath isn't an issue for me.

Regards,

Ali
'92 SVX
Chicagoland.

ps if anyone in the area wanna stop by to look at this thing before I send it out for rebuild, please let me know. This maybe of benefit to others. I can post pics too.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 11-01-2004 at 08:05 AM.