View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Re: 92 Subaru SVX with climate control issue

Okay, so I have a couple options with the knock sensors...

I have found that the front knock sensor (just behind the alternator) is cracked all the way through. The only thing holding it together is the bolt going through the middle of it....

I can get both sensors replaced by my mechanic... It's a 4-hour job, as they claim they need to remove the intake and all that stuff to get access to the knock sensor in the rear.

I don't know about all that... The one guy I've been talking to here says that it's possible to do it without removing the intake.

So I can...

A) Replace the one knock sensor myself and see if that solves the performance problems

B) Take it to my mechanic and spend the cash on labor to have the manifold removed, both new sensors installed and see if that solves the problems (there is another issue with this...)

C) Take it to my friend's mechanic and see what they say.

With option B, they have to replace the upper intake gaskets. Understandable. However, I am coming across two different types of gaskets (they can't find any anywhere).

I've found this:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...um_gasket.html

And another that I can't find a link for at the moment, although it has a few more "stubs" that look like they are for bolt holes. My mechanic recommended the one I linked, but I just wanted to make sure we would be getting the right part if we choose option B.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks