View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 92 Subaru SVX with climate control issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrecess View Post
Hello all,

Some may remember me from the electrical issues I had previously had.

A little more history about my SVX, first.

The previous owner found it with the body wrecked and rusted out, and spent the time and money to restore it. She traded it in because she had been forced to go on disability, and was no longer able to comfortably get in and out of the car.

We just replaced the alternator in it (and haven't had an issue from it since). We are getting ready to replace the knock sensors, as well as the coolant temperature sensor.

At the moment, however, we have noticed that the engine will sputter and drop RPM's at idle (goes from ~900 to ~5-600 rpm's in park) when you press either the Econ or Vent buttons on climate control system. It will also randomly sputter while driving, sometimes idling at lights, othertimes it will sputter or surge while accelerating or cruising. (Some of this we believe the replacement of the knock sensors may fix, but my wife and I fear there is something else wrong as well).

Any idea what this is caused by?
Normally at idle, the ECU (engine control unit), compensates for the extra load imposed by the air conditioning compressor etc, by electrically adjusting the bypass air control valve. First things first. Refer to the how to section and run an engine diagnostic check. This component is covered by code 24.

It will be two birds with one stone, as you will also receive readings for the knock and coolant sensors.

A leaking air hose could possibly be involved. Use a length of flexible tube as a make do stethoscope, and check under and around the inlet manifold for rushing air noises, as you move the throttle on and off idle.

You do not have to be an automotive expert. Well applied common sense will get you a long way.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!