Thread: Tranny is out!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Tranny is out!

You should be scared with that set up.

I posted the oe warning light temp thresholds and overheat mode thresholds in the tcu thread. In my performance TCUs I lower the theshold to kick on both the warning light and overheat mode at 212 degrees F. I don't remember off hand the exact oe values but they were high, something like 230 and 240F. Too high to save the transmission. One of my performance TCUs is obviously a good step towards safe guarding your transmission from hard parts failure.

You should defenitely not be hooked up to your radiator's atf cooler. Make getting a good after market cooler your #1 priority for your car. While you are doing the swap put some compressed air to your oe cooler and you will see why you don't want to use it. Its like blowing through a kinked straw. Since you are somewhere hot like me you should be like me and not go half way. Get a nice plate and fin cooler and mount it in your fenderwell with it's own fan and thermostat. Use the battery for the main power to the relay to run the fan. Use a fuse tap on the AC fuse in the corner of the fuse box in the engine compartment for the power for the thermostat. That fuse only gets power when the key is on. Cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of the fender liner where it forms a scoop and another in the top of the fender liner to create an exit for the hot air. That set up in my car runs 176 degrees all day long no matter what the temps are outside or how hard i run the car..and my full throttle shifts are at 7800 rpms and you don't want to hear about miami daytime traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
This scares me, since its been consistently in or near the 100's here. I have the stock cooler with the campaign filter setup. For the heat to kill the tranny, it has to be a longer freeway trip right? Id like to know how hot mine is getting, does anyone know the temp maximum for the AT?