View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Tranny is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Chances are that transmission is a worst case scenario loss. When the restrictive factory atf cooler in the radiator isn't bypassed and replaced with a high capacity aftermarket unit and the high clutch goes out the heat from the high clutch hardens the thrust bearing on the nose of the rear support until it crumbles. When this happens you loose all gears.

If the factory cooler had not been connected and an aftermarket cooler of sufficient capacity had been used the failing high clutch would not have caused hard parts damage and this transmission could have been given a partial rebuild and been upgraded to an impressive, high performance unit. This should be a lesson to others not to leave the oe cooler connected.
This scares me, since its been consistently in or near the 100's here. I have the stock cooler with the campaign filter setup. For the heat to kill the tranny, it has to be a longer freeway trip right? Id like to know how hot mine is getting, does anyone know the temp maximum for the AT?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.