Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Maine man

Quote:
Originally posted by ExoDemon
Hi all,

4) Am I going to be setting myself up for disaster if I only want to spend $3-4k on an SVX? I want to get out of my Bimmer payment and into a car I *own*, but it would be nice if the maintenance didn't add up to my $311/mo. payment. :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions you're willing to share!

-Brandon

Hi Brandon, and welcome.

Can't add to the auto-x debate, except to say that the handling is entertaining, and the autobox will give you loads of push in 1 and 2. Expect it will do the job, but be heavy, and if you buy one with fragile drivetrain, then the costs will hurt.

Which brings me to the second point.

Buy the very best SVX you can afford.

Don't touch one that looks like it's been abused, or not properly maintained. Such a car will be a money pit.

When you have attended to the few things the guys mentioned, the car will be way more reliable than it appears from the boards. Remember, only the people having problems tend to write in or complain. The vast majority of owners sail merrily along, enjoying one of the best GTs ever.

The car is well built and reliable, aside from the Usual Suspects you mention. The "expensive to run" reputation you mention is only partially true. If things break, some parts can be surprisingly expensive. Standard maintenance items are not too bad.

Some of the younger owners who buy an SVX cheap and then don't do the maintenance, are outraged when something breaks, and the part is nearly as expensive as the car was.

As a BMW owner, you would not be surprised that something like a replacement headlight cost a few bucks more than you would like to be spending. The SVX is no different.

Which is why I say, buy the very best you can find.

Be objective, and don't fall in love with the first car you test drive. If possible, get Darksied to check out the car, or another member who knows them. This might save you grief and long-term $$.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl