View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 12:07 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I have a feeling if there is enough force to spew coolant from the cap my lower rad hose will burst if I replace the cap because it's pretty raggedy lookin'.
Stuff like that happens. First you notice the water pump leaking, so you replace it. No big deal. Then, suddenly a radiator hose blows, so you replace the failed one and the other one just in case. Argh! It's starting to become a big deal, but you can handle it. Next you notice the radiator cap leaking, so you replace it too. No big deal, but you're starting to tear your hair out. So a week goes by and you're starting to think everything is fine - until the temperature gauge starts to climb. You get home, you check the fluid, you find it's a little low. You top it off. No big deal. Two days later, the gauge begins to rise for the second time. Hmmm... Sure enough, the fluid is low. You add fluid. No big deal - until you start wondering why bubbles are coming up from the coolant fill neck.

So the failed head gasket makes enough pressure to cause everything in the cooling system to fail one item at a time until you finally figure out what's happening. Of course, if the manufacturers designed their engines to run about ten degrees cooler, we wouldn't have to use pressurized cooling systems and none of these parts would ever fail, (except for the head gasket.) Kinda makes you wish you had an old Volkswagen.