View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 AM

Re: Need parts suggestions on new-used SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
dcarrb,
I went back and looked at this thread as I am doing a 60K service on my Tribeca and I plan to use similar fluids in the SVX. I saw that you did not install a tranny cooler on one of your SVXs. It also sounds like you haven't had an issue with it...
My silver SVX had 154,000+ miles when I bought it, and a notation in the owner's manual that the transmission had been replaced @ 69,000+, with receipts to back this up. It now has almost 177,500 miles. It has no external transmission filter nor auxiliary cooler. I'd figured on installing a cooler, but as time has passed, the sense of urgency has faded. I've changed the fluid and internal filter once, using ordinary ATF (don't even recall the brand), and have had no problems.

My philosophy, informed by experience and observation, not expertise, is that most "performance" fluids, filters, additives and doo-dads are marketing constructs that do little, if anything, to enhance performance or extend service life. Scientifically, what I know about automotive fluids wouldn't fill a thimble, but I firmly believe following the manufacturer's recommendations is perfectly adequate for normal driving. Consistently drive hard, especially with an old car, and no high-dollar fluids will save you.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 08-13-2010 at 05:03 AM.