View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Need parts suggestions on new-used SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
dcarrb,

I went back and looked at this thread as I am doing a 60K service on my Tribeca and I plan to use similar fluids in the SVX. I saw that you did not install a tranny cooler on one of your SVXs. It also sounds like you haven't had an issue with it. One thing about the Redline ATF is that it supposedly helps the tranny run cooler. I have been convinced by folks on the BITOG site that adding Lubegard is unnecessary with the Redline fluids as the folks at Redline are considered THE experts at formulating oils with additives. Redline is based on esters and esters tend to wet metals better, thus removing heat more efficiently. On top of that, their flash point is very high so they don't break down as easily. It would seem that, for newer models of the SVX with the redesigned trannys, that using Redline might be enough and an external cooler might not be necessary. My mechanic was against adding something and making the system more complex for a problem that may never happen. I can see his point but I don't want tranny problems down the road either.
I'd be very leary about trusting the Redline CLAIM for flash and fire points as it is just that a CLAIM. The highest independently verified flash and fire point come from Mobil 1 synthetic atf. IMHO if Redline was any better they would provide it for independent verification, instead they refuse to do so. Sure you can pay to have it done for the cost of a couple trannies if you want. Without that I'd trust it as much as I'd trust Slick 50.

The only way to know if you are likely for transmission issues is a properly installed accurate gauge. Without that you are simply playing russian roulette.