View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Need parts suggestions on new-used SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
For what it's worth I've put 70,000+ relatively trouble-free miles on my cars using ordinary fluids (no brand preference excepting Havoline motor oil), no additives of any description, and either factory or OEM-equivalent aftermarket parts. One car has an external transmission filter and AUX cooler, the other has neither. Both are stock. I don't generally drive aggressively but I don't baby them, either.

Good luck with your car.

dcb
dcarrb,

I went back and looked at this thread as I am doing a 60K service on my Tribeca and I plan to use similar fluids in the SVX. I saw that you did not install a tranny cooler on one of your SVXs. It also sounds like you haven't had an issue with it. One thing about the Redline ATF is that it supposedly helps the tranny run cooler. I have been convinced by folks on the BITOG site that adding Lubegard is unnecessary with the Redline fluids as the folks at Redline are considered THE experts at formulating oils with additives. Redline is based on esters and esters tend to wet metals better, thus removing heat more efficiently. On top of that, their flash point is very high so they don't break down as easily. It would seem that, for newer models of the SVX with the redesigned trannys, that using Redline might be enough and an external cooler might not be necessary. My mechanic was against adding something and making the system more complex for a problem that may never happen. I can see his point but I don't want tranny problems down the road either.