Thread: m.p.g
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 PM

Re: Manual manipulation

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Way back in the thread I mentioned that MANU does not work in D, [4] range, and that if so, the POWER shiftmap might function in D while MANU was lit. Did some testing, and perhaps a few of you could verify if your version acts the same.

It does not allow POWER in D. In fact, it acts quite a bit like I would expect ECON to work. Because MANU is switched on, the POWER map is not accessible as they are mutually exclusive in the TCU software.

What it does do is rather interesting. As mentioned, it ignores or locks out 1. Select 1, it will start in 2 and stay there. Select 2, it will start in 2, and stay there [other than over-rev failsafe] Select 3, it starts briefly in 2, shifts up to 3 and stays there. This is the interesting bit. Hard acceleration in 3 only produces lots of use of the torque convertor in 3 range, it will not give you kickdown to 2.

It gets more interesting. With MANU on and D selected, it starts in 2 as before, shifts up quickly and smoothly to 3, and then again quickly and smoothly up to 4 provided the ATF temperature is high enough. But it functions in 4 more like the ECON or NORMAL mode. For passing, it will give you kickdown to 3 if booted hard enough. 2 is not accessible [unless you shift the lever, obviously]

I am going to try it in this mode for a few weeks, see if the economy improves significantly. I normally use POWER, but the changes are more jerky, and the box a bit more manic if you lift power off approaching a bend. It drives serenely smoothly in MANU, so economy must improve.

Can anyone confirm the above, particularly the kickdown availability?

Joe
Thanx for my cool nickname

But.....on my 400km way home this afternoon I checked the behaviour of the mysterios "Manual" button, and tried the "Econ" + "Manual" mode as described by you.

I DO HAVE kickdown in both "D" AND "3" !!
If I drive in "D" it kicks to 3:rd when I really floor it, and if I drive on "3" and floor it, it kicks to 2:nd !! , but I am not sure if you had BOTH "Manual" AND "Econ" engaged, or just "Maunal" , please clearify that.

PS. Have anyone figured out my "callsign" yet ?

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***