View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Exhaust suggestions for my SVX for left pipe and flange issue

So I haven't done anything with my SVX after getting all of the work done to it and thinking I had a blown head gasket. Spent over $3K in June and when the car overheated after bringing it back from my mechanics again I just left it sit.

Called another shop last week to have it towed so I can have it flushed and the car was totally dead. Turns out that copper stuff did something to fix it or it was simply an air pocket my previous mechanic missed. Does not look like it has a blown head gasket.....for now. We will see, but it did not overheat again and passed the tests for that.

Car was out of inspection since it had been sitting for 5 months. Figured it would not need anything as it has new tires and brakes, but of course it does need something. My previous mechanic tried to fix an exhaust leak from the flange on the left pipe that did not work enough to pass inspection.

Because it is hooked to a cat, I can't buy it used. Two of them would be over a grand alone less labor new as they are hard to find. No chance I am spending that on this car right before Christmas for a car I spent $3k on this year and never drove. It is obviously not a primary car. I do like it a lot though and wish to keep it.

What are my options here? They failed it for inspection but because it had less than 5K on it this tear (less than 500 on it) it has an emissions exemption. I am confused how it failed for something that is related to emissions when it has an exemption sticker on it, but I don't understand these things to be honest. Do I even need a cat for a car that is emissions exempt? It is a 20 year old car so I am pretty sure in PA it would be exempt going forward regardless. Can I use a straight pipe for this? What kind of suggestions does anyone have in regards to getting this fixed sooner rather than me waiting for when I want to drop money on it to get something better in there? Are there aftermarket exhaust systems for this car? I can really use some help here as I would like to not have it sit another 6 months, but I am not putting a whole lot into it over Christmas for my kid.

Thanks.