View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
I noticed on Thursday that the G, at 37K miles, needed new rear brakes (rumble, slight squeak). Picked up the pads, got the rotors cut and bolted it back together with no issues Saturday after the race. Take the customary test drive and notice a *slight* scraping noise. Damn. Take it back apart to check things but find nothing wrong. Button it back up, fire her up and head out. DAMN. Noise is now worse! I've done enough brake jobs in my life to now I didn't miss this noise maker twice, so I decide to check the front brakes, you know, just in case. DAMN, fronts gone too!!! Saturday night, no pads, 8:30 pm. Tear it down and race to the local shop which closes at 9:00pm to find the place had just closed. Get back home from fishing today (got up at 3:45am, ugh) and head to the shop 15 minutes before closing to find that the rotors have no casting thickness minimum and the guy behind the counter states that since the car has VDC, he can't even order rotors for me. Infiniti yanked the franchise from my local dealer, so I now have an hour drive for parts tomorrow. BTW, this is the second set of front pads, and I know the rotors are beyond discard thickness. 37K, WTH???
Had to laugh because my dad and I went through just about the same thing with my mom's I30. The brakes are noisy and even with brand new rotors and pads (worn in or new) there is still some shudder. Hopefully you will have better luck than my mom is currently though. Her car is just under 85k miles and in the last three weeks she has dumped $2500 into it, and it's going back into the shop tomorrow.

List of stuff fixed:
ABS controller
PCV evap canister and lines replaced
Crank position sensor
oxygen sensor
fuel pump, filter, and lines
knock sensor
egr valve
9 computer diagnostics at $59.99 a piece

And it goes back to Bennett Infiniti tomorrow because it's making yet another horrible noise. Sounds like another problem in the fuel system, near the injectors/fuel rails.

My mom test drove a brand new Grand Prix GTP this weekend and loved it, so depending on the price of this next repair, the only import left at my parents house may be on it's way out.