View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Wont start sometimes, but starts if I jiggle shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Information Overload Trevor.

This is what I got from that:
Ok so the resistor works in parallel with the TCU to tell solenoid "A" how much line pressure to give during the low (closing/off) cycle to keep the pressure from being at 0 pressure.
The TCU sends a combined signal via two circuits, one includes at resistor. When, as the means of control, normally closed solenoid valve "A" is energised and opened, this results in a reduction in line pressure. The signal via the resistor, controls the length of time within the pulse width modulated signal, that the valve remains open. Therefore if this signal is upset, pressure will be increased.

Quote:
So increasing the resistance would cause less line pressure and dropping the resistiance would cause more line pressure? So is a 10ohm resistor is less resistance than a 15ohm resistor?
Not exactly so. The resistor circuit holds the solenoid towards the operated position, only after a full voltage pulse from the direct primary circuit moves the solenoid. If the resistance is increased, a point will be reached whereby the voltage delivered will no longer hold in the solenoid, so that there will be a point of cut off resulting in an on/off situation. Therefore varying the resistance can not provide a means of altering/adjusting pressure by degrees.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!