View Single Post
Old 04-30-2001, 12:25 PM
blonde_man

Intake Tips

Shouldn't this be in the Tech or Mod section?

Anyway, I'd leave the pipe that goes into the air filter box. It seals off the hot air from the engine compartment and sucks in the cool air. When I removed the resonator, I just cut the pipe in half (at the slotted bend that is inside the resonator), and left it attached to the air filter box. Other wise you'd lose power by sucking in the hot air from the engine bay, like SVXTER said.

While drag racing on Friday (check out my post in the mods section), I thought of an interesting use for that resonator, and a reason for keeping it in place!. A lot of guys at the track pop their hood and put ice on their intercooler, etc, to keep the engine from suffering too badly from heat. Well we could open the air filter box, remove the filter panel, put ice down the hole into the resonator to keep the intake temps cool! There are drain holes for water, so it'll drip out once it melts.

You couldn't put too much ice in though, or else you'd clog the filter, unless you modified the resonator a little. I'd suggest removing the the second half of the resonator pipe that goes upward and sucks the air down into the resonator. Then you could fit a lot more ice into the resonator, by filling it up!!

What do you think? I'm wishing I still had my resonator!! That's okay though, I'm planning to do a ram air setup anyway, by cutting a hole in the air dam (right in front of where the resonator was), install a trumpet/funnel, and then send a pipe directly into the stock air filter box. It should give me some good boost at high speeds!