View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Re: 6 Speed Buildup/Versions Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
All 6MT's have the same ratios for 1-4. The JDM STi has the tightest 5th and 6th, followed by the USDM STi, and the JDM Forester STi has the tallest of all (best for highway cruising). The Legacy GT Spec B's 6MT has the same ratios as the Forester STi, but does not have a limited slip front diff.

IMHO, for the SVX the ultimate is the Forester STi's tranny. However, if you're looking to build a grand touring beast and not as concerned for the ultimate in performance, the Spec B's tranny will do you very well. The Forester 6MT is almost impossible to find though. Since I've known of this I've only seen one drivetrain imported. The Spec B's tranny can be had brand new for something like $3200.
Good info..

I wish my Legacy GT were a spec B, although I did kind of think of them as a bit too $$$$ over the GT Limited at the time. Before the '10 Legacy showed how things could go so wrong.

But rather than finding a Forester STI gearbox... one would think that it would be easier to swap a front LSD into a Spec B gearbox for the same effect. Maybe an appropriate configuration Torsen, to match the rear differential's Torsen...

Both my Legacy and SVX have LSDs in the rear diffs, but open fronts... is there a big advantage for a front LSD in snow and such, vs. any drawbacks for dry tarmac driving, cruising drag, or steering resistance?

My previous vehicle was a 4x4 ranger, with no LSDs, and a transfer case, and it fought steering like crazy in the dry, if it was in 4WD, and HAD to be dis-engaged if the pavement was anywhere close to dry pavement...

I like the DCCD stuff, and the robust nature of the STI/SpecB gearbox, and the torsen rear diff (wife's Miata has one, too.)... but I would be interested to hear comparisons between an open front diff, and a front LSD equipped car, and which might be better suited toward SVX's GT role, not really an ice-racer/rally stage car.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.