View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Here in Virginia, any speeding over 20 MPH is / can be written up as "reckless driving". On the surface, that doesn't sound too bad, UNTIL you find out what the result can be - ONE YEAR in jail and suspension of your license for that year as well (racing, regardless of speed, can result in both (all) cars being conficated by the police). One judge in Fairfax County has an established policy of sending folks to jail for anything over 90 MPH. Usually it is 30 days - BTW, I actually saw a lawyer get 30 days in jail for 93 MPH (in a 55MPH zone) at 4:00 AM in the morning on the access lanes to Dulles Airport. He was driving a new Infinity, that (as he told the cop and the judge), he "wanted to see what it would do".

BTW, I guess I have to disagree that just because one has a high performance vehicle, it's okay to do excessive speeds on the highway. That's just dumb. It doesn't consider that the driver "may not" be able to control a car with that kind of high performance capability, nor the fact that there are other cars on the road doing the lawful limit. Re the latter, a 30 MPH differential in speed between cars on a highway is quite significant and begging for an accident to happen. Not many people are capable of judging well what is within eye sight at close to 100 MPH. Oh, have you ever seen a car that hit a deer at 60 MPH - especially a fiberglass Corvette? It ain't pretty!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx