View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 01:58 PM
$VX

Originally posted by Shadow248
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Im still trying to discern some point out of that. I could be crazy but didn't you just reaffirm everything i said?

Basically, except for the fact that the SVX has a performance transmission.

I never said the SVX was the ultimate race car, i simply said that to compare it to a neon is to compare a Rolex to a Timex.

And I'm saying that I'll agree with that statement, because they BOTH tell time with about the same effectiveness. One is nice, luxurious, and has a really great quality about it, the other is cheap, lightweight, and has a crappy build quality. HOWEVER, they both go about the same thing, just like the SVX and the neon are really not far apart in performance.

The only thing out of your post that did make sense was the comment about manual vs. automatic. But im not saying your right. This may be a stretch, but im betting your one of those "kids" (sorry to say that but mostly it is the 16-21 age group) who believes that manual trannys are always and infinetly better than autos for any kind of racing. No doubt on circle track or course racing, manual is by far the way to go.

Uh oh. First, you called me a kid. Secondly, this kid is about to make you look like a fool.

However, ask anyone who drags, i mean really races and not just for fun, which tranny rules at the strip, and they'll all tell you AUTO is the way to go.

And WHY oh WHY do they choose automatics? HRMMM>?!?!? It isn't because they're HIGHER PERFORMANCE, its because they're CONSISTENT, and because they reduce drivetrain shock. THAT is why they choose autos. Not for better performance. In fact, in almost ANY vehicle, if there is a stickshift and an automatic, the auto is ALWAYS slower. Why? FEWER GEARS. With more gears, you can remain in the engines powerband. With fewer gears, you are not in it as often. This is elementary knowledge, I can't believe you don't know this.

I don't care how good you think you are at driving a 5-speed, but NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE can outshift an automatic transmission.

Yes, they really can. Autos are CONSISTENT, but manuals usually have MORE GEARS, which allow them to be FASTER.

Even the SVX's relatively tempermental box can rip through shifts many times quicker than even the most seasoned racer.

Riiiiigght. And the SVX was produced by god himself. In fact, this HIGH PERFORMANCE racing SVX tranny is also installed in OTHER high performance vehicles like....oh... the Mazda MPV minivan... and the Nissan Pathfinder. Wow. it sure is a PERFORMANCE transmission.

Go ahead, try your clutch popping method against an auto. That just amplifies the spinning tires effect that screws over the front drive cars to begin with.

I'm not talking about spinning the tires moron. I'm talking about raising the revs to 3-4 grand and dumping the clutch. The result? A small CHIRP and you're hauling ass.

Not only are you dealing with only two tires to get power to the ground, now you are FORCING them to fight for traction, not even giving them a chance.

uhhh... I don't even think I need to comment on the ignorance here.

And then you say the neon is performance oriented?

The 5 spd. Yes. RELATIVELY. Look at that website I already gave you. In comparison to its competition, it is the best braking, best handling, and quickest car out there.

I shouldn't even bother with this because everyone in your age range seems to think that the Neon, Cavalier, Focus, Civic, Integra, Sentra...etc...were really designed to be race cars but because of the US's "strict" street rules, they had to be toned down?!

I've never said this. But since you're going to label me, I think I'll label you, alright? Now, I shouldnt even bother arguing against an ignorant chevy owner, because all of you inbred rednecks seem to think the camaro z28 is the best car in the entire world and that having sex with your sister is okay. WAKE UP! CAMAROS ARE FOR TRAILER TRASH. See? I can label you as well. Granted, it is most likely an incorrect label, but I don't really care seeing as how you are incorrectly labeling me.

WAKE UP!!! They are ECONOMY CARS...E-C-O-N-O-M-Y...that means they are meant to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. Not to do it fast, or in style (obviously), but SIMPLY TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

Hey, no arguement there. Neon are cheap. Here are my plans: Neon shell : 1500, 2.4: 700. For under 3000 dollars I'll be running 14 second 1/4s and get almost a G on the skidpad. WEE!

Hence the significant difference in cost between an SVX and a NEON. Yet another reason to STOP COMPARING the two. You want a fast car, buy a fast car.

There really isn't that big of a price difference. I sold my neon for 3400. The SVX cost me 3600. But I'm going to say something here that maybe, just maybe, you'll understand. The SVX is FAST. The neon is QUICK. Understand?

Again i apologize for having to use the age reference...but you show me a 30+ year old man (or woman) driving a Civic with Ground effects, lots of stickers and that exhaust that sounds like a turbocharged weedwhacker, and then i will consider changing my generalization.

Sadly, I know of a few. Not personally, but there was some 'rice (honda) meet in Madison a few weeks back... there were guys in their late 20s early 30s driving around in hte ugliest most obnoxious hondas I've ever seen. BLECH.

What's with the link? It says 0-60 in 7.5 secs. That's 3 tenths behind the worst test that i've heard of for the SVX (i've heard 6.9 to 7.2). If you consider that close, i remind you that 3 tenths of a second means there is more than a full carlength between the competitors at 60mph. Hell, my mom's car does 0-60 in 7.3 secs (infiniti I30). So what are you trying to say here?

What I'm trying to say is that nobody on this forum (that I'm aware of) is getting CLOSE to magazine times in the 1/4 mile with their SVX. Do a search. I'm not even sure I've seen an SVX in the 15s EVER. However, I've seen quite a few stock neon do 15s. A stock R/T with some drag slicks managed a 15.3 2 years ago at union grove (the dragstrip around here).

- Ca$h

Last edited by $VX; 10-31-2002 at 02:00 PM.