View Single Post
Old 12-14-2001, 12:32 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Not to pick nits but the last time I bought a dozen eggs they cost me less than $1. Around 8 cents/ea. Add an egg to what you're already buying at the diner and add 85 cents. Big mark up, per centage-wise. Parts mark-up 30%? Try to find a shop that won't be offended, won't add additional time to your job and and you can still trust to work on your car. Doesn't matter how much the tech makes, that's between him and the owner. But since you brought that up, most techs these days do get a percentage of the parts.

I'm not trying to make any enemies here, I'm just saying that taking your own parts in won't make you any friends... *offers hand for friendly shake*

Beav
*takes hand -- returns friendly shake*

This was beginning to be deja vu all over again. I don't want to make enemies either, and I believe you know what I meant about the whole "egg" thing. Let's not pick nits. I just get a little frustrated, I apologise and really don't mean to offend -- I'm just giving the view from my side of the fence. Like I've told everyone before, I have the utmost respect for techs. Worked at my uncle's service station out of high school and did the "piddly stuff" so, I have some sense of the goings on "behind the scenes", but the "big money dealerships" have put the poker up my . . . nose to many times. I remember when you made an appointment, you went in and sat around while they fixed your car and you drove it home. Today, it's *expected* that you're going to leave your car overnight. Service departments don't need waiting rooms, they need hotel rooms. You are at the mercy of their schedule and there is no consideration for yours. I mean, here's the scenario: you take your car in on Monday . . . they diagnose the problem . . . parts aren't in stock, they have to order them. Since Subaru ONLY lets you order parts on Tuesday, it's an overnight stay. Parts order is called in on Tuesday for Thursday delivery . . . or, if the part wasn't at warehouse A, it comes in from warehouse B on Friday. So, you may get your car on Thursday, maybe Friday, or, If they don't get the part(s) put on Friday, it's a weekend stay and they finish and you pick it up on Monday, if they don't find something else wrong while putting the parts on Monday, at which point you start the process over again -- so, you're out your car for an entire week . . . or more. Since most dealerships don't provide loaners, you're out the cost of a rental car, plus parts, plus labor. That kinda hit is difficult for some of us to take. Now, I realize a dealer can't keep every part for every car in stock, but in this world of electronic communication, there's gotta be a better way.

I'm just a little old fashioned, I guess. I take people at their words and am quick to trust. I beleive in "the customer's always right," "everybody deserves a fair shake," and "treat other people the way you want to be treated." I haven't gotten that in years from a dealership. That's why I use an ASE certified mechanic that works on cars at his house because he enjoys it. He's works on big equipment at a factory during the day and then, works on cars at night. He tells you when to bring it, tells you when to pick it up. He even calls and tells you which parts to order, and if he can get them cheaper than you can, he'll order them for you -- he charges parts at his cost. Yes, I'm spoiled.

Oh well -- enough venting for now. Please, please, please, don't take this as a personal affront, Beav. There are those who have wonderful experiences and those of us who've been sorely disappointed. I just happen to be one of the latter. Personally, I think you're a good egg.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI