View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Bipa

Originally Posted by SSSVX

Are you the one who's taking care of the cars in the family? Not many ladies will like to get involved with car maintenance stuff from my observation... If I have a partner next time, and, she's half of it like you regarding to car things, that might be fun

Yup... I take care of all the car stuff for both our cars. Have been doing it since I got my own first car, a Toyota Cressida way back when. I learned to drive on a Ford LTD Landau, over 400 cubic inches of power. I think it was a 1978, gold paint with a yellow/gold top and those famous rear wheel fenders. If I remember right, we got 8 miles to the gallon back then

I've loved a little extra power ever since

I'm definitely no mechanic, but I've learned a few things over the years. Mostly I've learned to leave car mechanics up to the professional mechanics. If something can go wrong, I'll break it, usually where nobody expected anything to break. Murphy should be my middle name! Now, however, I'm faced with the challenge of learning all car part names in German, along with a whole bunch other mechanical/technical terminology. Often ends up in a lot of pointing and hand waving at times.

What I really liked about Wolf, the Swiss mechanic, is that he and his team took the time to help me learn the German names for stuff. They always patiently played "what's this?" with me as I pointed at stuff. (even non-car things)

Aw..shucks... there's lots of car gals like me around. My advice would be to stop looking, and you'll simply bump into the right one as you go through life.