View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
Yep okay, that was officially the most difficult thing ever.

Now finally having a free weekend without rain, and regardless of the horrible cold I have, I was determined to get that off today. God help me trying to get it all back together.

I could not, for love or money, get the hose off the PVC valve.I could wiggle it left and right, but would NOT come off. THe fuel lines were terrible too, I finally had to just tell myself I can replace them if I break them, and start wrenching them off with a needlenose. Painful, yes... but done very carefully, and then by hand once they were loose enough. I inspected them well, and they didn't sustain any damage. Phew.

The electrical connectors were second to last before getting the plenium off. Once I was able to lift it a few inches I could access them easier to wiggle them all off.

I finally had to, sadly enough, pull the entire plenium upwards and wriggle it off the PVC hose.

Unfortunately I didn't read immortal's warning on that IRIS valve, which is believe is the little inline piece that reads "TO EGR". Yep, that's all done. And the remaining inch of hose going to the unit broke. Other than that, the rest of my hoses are all intact and in decent shape. a little hard, but useable. I also noticed that there were cracks at the end of some of the hoses..... I'm sure that wasn't helping my idle issues AT ALL. I pray that Subaru sells that little inline piece separately.

Now that I have the plenium off, with much celebration and shouts of joy in my driveway (I'm sure to the wonderment of all the neighbors) I have it under my scrutiny and I see that butterfly IRIS unit (I am correct? the one directly under the intake, that controls that valve between the left and right?) it is soaked with oil, all around the gasket. Is it worth it, at this point, to crack those four nuts off and inspect? I don't want a suprise of springs and other tiny components flying everywhere.

I also noticed that under my intake was all kinds of ridiculous animal nests and eaten acorns, bedding etc.I'll have to shopvac it all out. Ick.

I'm going to go start scrubbing the intake out, and hopefully when I go grab my replacement parts someone here might have the compassion to guide me through the reassembly nightmare that's sure to ensue.

LOL.... I wish I had a digital camera, I'd take pictures for future reference.

-Sz