View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to nazgul Send a message via Skype™ to nazgul
Exclamation Electrical problems, Help! I'm about to give up

Original owner, 1996 lsi. 120,000 miles.

About 8 years ago I had to leave the car outside over the winter. There was a lot of ice, and it developed a weird problem in the spring. In heavy rain/puddles, the alarm system would trigger and the left blinker would flash. Turning the ignition off and on would fix the problem.

Over time, the problem required less and less heavy rain. And eventually it stopped doing the left blinker thing, just the alarm and (only audible if the alarm was disabled) a solenoid clicking in the rear.

I've had 5 garages look for problems. Nobody has been able to find it. Nobody has been able to *duplicate* it. Once someone did discover that the fusebox was partially melted (!). Someone else recently claimed to have found a ground problem (after I asked them to look) and added some wires (which promptly came loose).

A few years ago I made a major investment in it. Transmission cooler installed. All the hoses and gaskets replaced. $12,000 work of repairs. The problem seemed to occur less often--for a while.

This summer it started to happen when the AC was on during very hot days. (dripping somewhere?)

And then the alarm system started disarming itself if it was left for a night or two. The car was still locked, but it wasn't alarmed. I stopped using the alarm. But the solenoid clicking still occurred on a few days when the car was frosty and warming up.

And then a few weeks ago, it hit *really* hard. (Or maybe it's something completely different). The ABS light went on during a very cold day. And when I pressed the brakes, the heat would cut off. Press them again, it would turn on again. Eventually it went off permanently (this over a period of two days). At the same time the horn stopped working, and the brake lights stopped working as well (and with them the ability to take it out of park without manually overriding the interlock).

The latest from my garageman:

> The SVX needs a brake light switch,front pads and rotors (asap) there is an oil filter that was added to this vehicle that is leaking power steering fluid in front of left front tire. There is no power coming out of controller to activate heater fan. abs system has a code 10 which means valve relay problems or ecu problems,

And none of that addresses the problem that there's clearly something wrong electrically. Something that goes away simply by powering off and on.

It's due for a repainting before some surface rust gets worse, but I can't afford to keep pouring money into it if this is going to keep happening.

I'm desperate for solutions here. I love this car. I've had it for 17 years.