View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Another shuddering/ binding question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoval View Post
Well the diagnosis is in, during the test drive the tech noticed an engine flare from 1-2,2-3 and 3-4, is this xmsn starting to go bad or is the quick change he's feeling?

Also during the drive the tech was doing slow speed turns to replicate the shuddering and the drive shaft carrier failed causing it to flop around . Could that have been the cause of my shuddering?

So now I'm going to replace the driveshaft since the car is not drivable, but hopefully that cures the problem. The total to rebuild the xmsn, new driveshaft and a new L/H CV axle will total $3466, not sure i want to put more money into her now
I don't know what he is calling a 'flair'. You can get a flair between 2nd and 3rd, as the band lets go of 2nd, and the clutch grabs 3rd. If the band lets go early or the clutch grabs late, it will rev till the clutch grabs 3rd. This is a flair.

This can't happen between 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th. From 1st to 2nd, it stays in 1st till the band comes on, if the band comes on late, it just changes at a higher speed, no flair.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.