View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 09:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Horrible noise / tranny no longer holds any gears

Really, I'm not kidding - my transmission no longer holds any gears.

I made it about a mile from my house this morning when it slipped right out of second. When I got home, backing in to the garage required 4,500RPM.

There is this horrible whirring and clattering noise when the engine revs up. This, combined with the slippage, leads me to suspect the ATF pump.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. If anybody has any insight, please let me know. I'll probably have the car towed to the dealer tomorrow.

Edit: I just called the dealer. They have no appointments available until the 17th, two days before I leave for the meet.

Unless this is something I can repair myself over the next week, I do not think that my SVX will be making it to the meet. Some of you know how hard that is to swallow.

Edit #2: If it is the ATF pump, I don't see how I can replace it myself within a week. It looks like it's in between the transmission and the diff. All the work I finished a month ago took me about three weekends, and I sorta knew my way around. I've never done anything with the transmission and I don't have a repair manual.

Edit #3: I'm desperate, so I've even called a local Aamco. Eek, I know, but they have a good rep and have given good service so far. They replaced the transmission in my friend's 3000GT and I let them replace the FL axle on my car.

But it doesn't look like they know Subarus very well. I had to clear up a few of his misconceptions

Anyway, they don't think that a transmission with 130k miles on it will be able to stand the pressure a brand new pump will create. Their opinion is that if I have a new pump put in, it's going to blow out all the seals on the tranny anyway, so I might as well pay them to put in a rebuilt.

Todd (wawazat) pointed me to a dealer in Ferndale. I called them, and they were great on the phone, but the service guy's opinion was that it simply was not going to be repaired before next weekend. He also said that there was the possibility that the transmission would need to be replaced.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-09-2002 at 01:21 PM.