View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up New appreciation for miatas...

The WDCR autoX on 3/25 was my first time ever behind the wheel of a miata and what a blast it was! Shawn's STS2 miata is set-up extremely loose, and navigating the course was an exercise in counter-steering! I now know what it feels like for a car to spin around like a top and come to rest on the course with the engine stalled.

I never really got a good feel for the car, as I like to drive hard into corners and trail-brake, which is a serious no no with a 'loose' miata. As the car was a '90 model, it didn't come equipped with ABS and I locked the brakes up at least once or twice on each run! However, what really got me excited about the car was the way it handled fast transitions such as slaloms and sweepers. With the car being so narrow and light, I could cut through slalom cones like they weren't there...

My runs got progressively quicker (with the exception of my 3rd run where the major spin took place), and on my 4th and final run, I got my best time of the day - a mediocre 76.359.

Overall I finished:

5th out of 6th in STS2
148th out of 226 in PAX
Link to Results

A pic of me in Shawn's miata courtesy of Team WTF?!

P.S. I picked up some 245/40/17 Hoosier S05's before Sunday's event and they'll be going onto my WRX after the 4/14 Evolution School. They only have 4 heat cycles on them and are in excellent condition!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)