Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Tightening sequence is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Kiwi
Thanks Joann - will look at doing that. You are right - although they sold some there is no-one there now who seems very knowledgable.
Was in at Honda today and they sais tyre scalloping is not uncommon and to look at changing the tyres so will do as the shake in the steering wheel annoys me when driving an otherwise smooth machine!
It is very possible to get high spots on the tyres, but usually if you have good brand tyres on, and you did not run for high mileage with the wheels out of true or balance, then it is unlikely that your tyres should have "high" spots. Anything is possible, but it should not happen.

There is another factor in the wheel/tyre equation you may not be aware of; the SVX is pretty sensitive to how the wheels are tightened up when changes are made.

The absolutely correct mode is to partially tighten the wheels while the car is off the ground. The studs MUST be tightened diagonally, i.e. in the sequence 1,3,5,2 and 4 from the starting position. The wheels should be partially but firmly tightened off the ground, then when the car is lowered to the ground, all studs should be finished to the recommended torque, and again, this MUST be in the sequence noted above.

The recommended torque for the studs is 98-110 N-m or 72-87 ftlbs.

I have watched the best of tyre fitters and garages at work, and 9 out of 10 will fit your wheel to the axle, then proceed to use an air socket at high torque to stitch on your wheel in the sequence 1,2,3,4 and 5. Of course, if the wheel is slightly off when tightening stud 1, the finished result is your wheel rim will be revolving eccentrically on the axle, and the resulting wear will definitely give your tyre flat spots, because the ABS will have a hard job of pulling up the wheel evenly, and one position of the tyre will get worn more than the rest.

Jack up the car yourself, loosen the front wheels, and re-tighten them PROPERLY. If they were wrongly fitted, you will notice a difference straight away.

I no longer trust any garage or wheel fitter unless I am standing over them while they do the job. What works OK for the majority of modern cars with an accurate aligning central spigot does not work well for the SVX at all. It is hard to get this message across to the spanner men, because they are self-styled "experts" and they know it all.

Best of luck with the problem,

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl