View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Confirm my problem is Alternator related

[QUOTE=Cam;672906]
Quote:
Harvey, I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree that what you describe is happening. I am familiar with ohms law, but your typo confused me (you said 250 watts, then 260 volts. I did not check the math...). What you described would be the case if the wiring did not have anything connected to it after the battery. Fortunately, everything ties in together at the alternator.
Yes it is still connected to the rest of the electrical system, that is how the high voltage gets to damage it.

Quote:
When pulling the battery cable you are eliminating one of the power sources from the circuit, so the car soaks up the entire alternator output (or enough of it), instead of it drawing off the battery while the alternator recharges it.
No when you disconnect the battery while the Alt is charging the battery, the energy (watts) that the Alt is generating has to go somewhere. The regulator will read the voltage rise and reduce the rotors current flow to suit the rest of the systems voltage. Unfortunately the electronics in the regulator doesn't respond as fast as the electron flow, so the wattage from the Alt has the current reduced, so the voltage is increased.
So if the Alt is charging 20 amps at 13 Volts, and you take the battery lead off, the 20 amps stops, and the voltage rises to a 260 volts spike, before the regulator can reduce the rotors current flow.

Quote:
In order for this "spike" to occur, you would need voltage to drop all the way down to 1v. This is absurd. The current just flows past the point of contact for the battery and continues into the rest of the car, more or less retaining voltage.
No you need the current to drop all the way down, for the voltage to ‘spike’. It is the voltage 'spike' that “ just flows past the point of contact for the battery and continues into the rest of the car”, to damage the electronic units.

Quote:
At least, thats how I see it. And there are facts to support my case. Such as, A) I have done this on dozens of cars, old and new, with NO problems. B) I have done this on my own cars probably 100 times, swapping batteries, checking the alternator, etc
Well if you are OK to keep doing it, don’t let me change your ways, but it is not being helpful to tell other members to do, what is accepted as a unsafe practice.

Harvey.

PS. If you want to continue this discussion, it should be on its own thread. We have taken enough of K_Dubs.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.