View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 09:20 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Re: SVX ToMyx Intake Completed

~~Risen from 7yrs of zombie death

I came back here to research some info and to see if there have been any progress/fallbacks modifications wise. There is one thing I'd like to share with you guys that may have a cold-air intake setup. I tested something on my RAV4 and I wished I'd apply it to the SVX in search of that 14 second 1/4 mile.

Just before the maf sensor, all the piping that leads to the air filter I think should be enlarged. By how much? Every time the piping bends as it goes towards the air filter, try increasing the intake diameter by .5". So if the maf sensor is 2.5", as the piping leads away from it towards the air filter, increase it by .5". Once it hits another bend, increase it again by .5". I'll be testing this theory again once I get a 2015 Honda Fit (Don't ask..) but the results I got on my RAV4 was pretty good. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4...dragstrip.html 1/4 mile times dropped slightly and trap speed increased. This was while changing the intake at the dragstrip more than once and testing again. J

I searched and searched the internet to see if anyone else tested this as I see no intake manufacturers do this on their cold air setup. They generally keep the intake diameter the same size but I just feel it's like sucking through a straw with the same diameter. It becomes more difficult the longer the straw is away from mouth, especially with turns. Increasing the diameter size increases the air velocity as it goes around the turns and frees up some pumping loss since the engine should not have to fight as hard sucking in air, with the intake diameter increasing the further way it is from the throttle body.

I was very passionate about this forum and Chike's car was a perfect platform to work off of. I can't see pouring my heart into another SVX ever again. Just a thought. Chow for now....
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-03-2014 at 09:24 PM.