Thread: Stereo swap
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Removing and replacing the SVX radio is very easy. Here's my web page with detailed instructions and many pictures...

SVX Audio Installation

The SVX's CD player is a separate, single-DIN sized module that plugs into the AM/FM/cassette unit.

The WRX radio is a combination AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD in one double-DIN sized housing. You can install one of these in an SVX, but you'll need to remove both your old AM/FM/cassette and old CD player. Several people here on the forums can tell you about the extra installation steps required (slight modifications to the SVX's radio mounting "cage" [bracket] and to a metal structural piece in the dash behind the radio).

I've only seen pictures, but the Baja radio appears to be an AM/FM/CD unit, still as one double-DIN sized housing.

So the WRX and Baja radios won't plug into the SVX factory AM/FM/cassette unit. If you want to replace just your CD player, you'll need to find another one from an SVX.

Mike (Green1995SVX)- Did you have to do any metal work on your Baja radio like what's necessary for the WRX radios?

Anyone- Does/did Subaru even sell a 6-CD single-DIN unit that can be added to the SVX AM/FM/cassette unit? (I don't think they do/did)

Also, note that the SVX uses a different power/speaker connector than any other Subaru. So if you want to replace your radio with one from another Subaru model, you will need to get wiring harnesses both for the SVX and for the new radio. Please see my post in the For Sale forum.

If the price of a replacement Subaru CD module or whole AM/FM/CD combo unit approaches $200, consider after-market. You can get more features (e.g., ability to play MP3 CD-Rs) for that much, and usually higher power too.