View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Lean Running on 3 Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Well that sure sounds better than burning holes in my pistons. But I've confirmed that the wiring is not the issue, both by continuity and resistance checks, and by bypassing the wiring and reading the voltage directly at the O2 sensor (.007v). So I'm still concerned that the left bank is running really lean even if the computer is using the right sensor for guidance. The left side sensor is still indicating an extreme lean condition. Hope that made sense. Thanks for the reply.
After reading all you posted and noting the tests you have carried out, I came to the same conclusions as you have now posted and which make perfect sense.

The deciding factor is the plug readings. How long has the fault light been indicating a suspected lean condition? How much running since fault indication? Can you be sure a valid plug reading was in fact registered and obtained?

With left sensor reading 0.007 volts, what does the right read? (Presume this has been measured from the lead which is shielded.) If you are using a high impedance digital meter, the circuit could in fact be open and only induced volts are being recorded. The key to this will be comparing left and right voltages. You may also be able to check at the TCU ends, i.e. connector B59, terminals a6, white wire, and a5, yellow/blue wire. The shield may or may not be visible but is grounded at the TCU end.

If you can not prove faulty wiring and are confident in your test made by means of exchanging sensors, your doubts are understandable. However you must take into account that the fault code indicates a faulty sensor, or sensor signal, and not necessarily lean condition.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!