View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 AM

Re: maaco paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
I dont think that chain company uses any primer under the paint, and usually no clearcoat on top of the paint.. That is how they can charge so little, you know, no cost of primer or clearcoat makes it a lot cheaper.
Usually going over an existing paint job doesn't require a primer, an existing paint job that isn't peeling is a great primer. Most Macco jobs are base/clear, there isn't a huge cost difference in materials since they buy in massive quantities. It evens out because bases are usually cheaper and easier to mix than single stage paints and the same clear goes over all of it.

The paint jobs themselves aren't usually too bad, it is everything underneath that isn't too great. Though we did redo one previous Maaco car at the shop I work at that was a nightmare. For some reason the clear didn't stick to the base at all, dunno if it was bad product (which happens to everyone) or they let the base sit way too long. A trip through a high pressure car wash would have blown most of the clear off of that car if you found an area that was peeling. I stripped the clear off with a razor blade and an air hose, since sanding it was a waste of time and paper. It was also fun finding all of the trim holes from the woodgrain (Buick Roadmaster) that they had packed with Bondo to "shave" it so we could weld them up the right way.