View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX

Actually NO. The wattage is the same. They get away with advertising it as a higher wattage bulb due to the bulb's output's temperature rating.

Something like that anyway.

- Jim
I think we're a little confused between what we're saying to each other. Output wattage is the heat that the bulb generates. Temperature rating is the color that the bulb puts out. When I was talking about the cheaper brands using a higher wattage to try and compensate for the temperature, I was refering to bulbs like these . Those are high beams by that brand, and the electrical rating on them is 12v, 100w. That's what I meant by the cheaper ones using a higher wattage. And I know for a fact that there have been plenty of people that melter their wiring harnesses, along with the headlight lenses because they switched to an aftermarket bulb with a higher wattage.

I just realized that we have yet to answer your original question Phoenix. This quote is directly from Sylvania's Silverstar faq page, that I have a link to a few posts above.

"4. What’s the difference between SilverStar and Cool Blue?
SilverStar is a brighter (increased luminance) bulb and a whiter (~4000K vs. ~3500K) bulb than Cool Blue. SilverStar halogen is a performance halogen product line that provides a look that is closest to the color of HID with a high color temperature at 4000K and a crisp, white light. SilverStar puts more usable light into the foreground, making both the roadway and shoulder easier to see."

Last edited by majeskyb; 10-18-2004 at 10:28 AM.