View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Best Filter and Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
My SVX has 175,000 just replaced sensors, head gasket recently. I live in high altitude in Denver Colorado so its startin to get cold too. Looking for the best oil and filter for our SVX. Also what type of oil should i use here. I am not really that car savvy.. (I will be by the time i am done with the SVX lol) Feedback is much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
There is a ton of information on this in multiple threads. You really need to use the search function. But I will go ahead and repeat what I have said in the past.

I like that we can buy oversized filters. There are tight passages in the bearings and anything to help oil flow and pressure is a good thing. Also, it enables you to comfortably go longer between oil changes. The best one out there is the Bosch Premium which is a rebadged Purolator Plus. It is a very high efficiency filter and will keep your engine free of even the smallest particles.

On oil, if you use an oversized filter you can go with a synthetic oil and make it cost effective by extending the oil change interval. With the mileage you have, I would suggest a high mileage oil. There are two synthetic oils which offer high mileage products and they are Mobil 1 and Valvoline. The Mobil 1 has been rated higher. There are opinions out there that M1 is bad for Subaru engines but I don't think that is true for two reasons. First, years ago M1 was thinner than most oils. It has changed and is now thicker. As such, it stnds up to high RPMs and high heat better than M1 of many years ago. Second, High Mileage M1 is even thicker than standard M1. That is true to the point where you, in CO, can probaby run 5W30 year round.

And don't forget the air filter. For filtration, AC Delco has tested out as the best. That air filter plus the Bosch Premium oil filter should keep your engine nice and clean.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything