Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Auckland - Time for a meetup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Kia ora Joe,

My MX5 is a 1.8 and the last of the series with chassis stiffening etc. I chose it over the later models for good reason. It is stock standard and I can assure you that the power to weight ratio is sufficient to render it quite quick if driven seriously. In no way am I interested in maximum straight line performance. I have fitted a smaller steering wheel and modified the driving position. The tyres and wheels are standard size, because they provide the best handling on give and take roads.

The photo caption "non-sports car" has been inserted above, because that was my grizzle during lunch. The stupid forward mounted sloping windscreen pillars, block the view of tight corners and when having fun this is a serious limiting factor. The tyres on it are as purchased and are hard compound cheap rubbish, but add to the entertainment as it skates around nicely on a dry road, so have been retained.

Yes Paddles has one, which I understand he brought back from Japan. He has two or three interesting Japanese cars.

It has always been my opinion that the SVX is basically an old mans car, and I have not changed that view.

P.S. I will leave the added wing in the guess what basket for the time being. LOL.
Kia ora Trevor

Is the added wing the one sticking out of your boot? That must block your view to the rear a bit as well.

I don't doubt your remarks on the handling. Bad tyres + good handling = fun! I expect it's quick enough in your hands too without a blower, but I'm of the generation that believe you don't have enough power until you have too much. My bike has 160 hp and on dry roads with good tyres acceleration is like what being shot from a cannon must feel. The downside is riding in the wet. Even with good wet grip tyres it's too easy to unstick the back, there is a lot of power trying to break free from a 2" contact patch. So when grip is there you ride with glee, when grip is suspect you ride with respect.

Another car you would like the dynamics is the Honda S2000. Everything is designed for driver involvement and handling. The engine is way way back in the chassis for handling and to deliver more weight to the driven wheels. It has low power low down but becomes a vtec screamer like a race car if you keep the revs on. Very like the original motorbike engined cars from Mr Honda, I don't know how many here would remember them.

The SVX is an old man's car, yes. It is not at all as sporty as it could be, and that's the way they designed it. It's a GT, not a sports car. So happens a GT is what I like. Track hard suspension is a pain in the butt on bumpy back roads. Useless. The SVX can handle most roads you can throw at it in comfort and at some pace.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl