Thread: turbo my svx?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
In parts alone (including engine management) you'd probably have about $3k to do it right, with QUALITY products.

Labor isn't cheap either...

I wouldn't expect this place that wants to do it for you for any less than $6k.

Sure you can cheap out on parts, but you're going to be buying new ones down the road then anyway.
I wish I was in your dreamworld. Three grand couldnt be done unless you were lucky enough to have stuff laying around at a shop like i was.
- The turbo is a grand unless you want a chinese unit for 300 bux. Ive used a chinese unit for the last two years. It works, but not as it should. a few of the notable items that blow off the top of my dusty noggin are
- a full set of stainless
- eight 2.5" OD 304L 18 guage stainless jbends
- two straight 3" OD
- three 3" Jbends
- two velocity stacks, or some handy tig work with a few pieces of left of piping for the new plenum. We attempted to pressurize the stock snorkel and it blew air out of every crevis plausible.
- Tial 38"" wastegate and spring(s)
- Quality Bypass valve ( blow off valve)
- Fuel pump
- ECUTUne 2v7
- injectors and z32 maf
- RRFPR (possibly)
- FMIC
- a ton of t-clamps
- i dont reember how many 2/3 ply couplers, in 2.5, 2.5->3, and 3" sizes
- wideband, some form or another.
- boost gauge
- expensive ass spark plugs that you will foul and need to clean off till the car runs right
- god only knows how many hours of work. Hundreds in the case of my vehicle, and I had a ton of help from very talented friends as well.

regarding standalone;The only engine managements worth while for a dialy driver you can hand over to a customer and not worry about it needing a retune or just plain cutting out will run you 2 grand (AEM standalone EMS kit, with programmable drivers) and a few hours of dynotime.

Ask anyone who drives a megasquirt if they would let their mother drive it daily (the true test of charecter for a tuner). They will say, "no" or they are lying.

On second thought after looking at that list and thinking of all the time it takes to do it, and it right, you couldnt pay me to do this again!