View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002, 03:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: no offense intended here either

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Kelli, my wife works with autistic kids, and I too deplore the use of the word retard, it is pejorative.

The phrase has entered the language though, deplorable that it is, and I am sure in this case it was meant as a figure of speech, though a little insensitive.

Is your sister coming to Ireland??

Joe
it doesn't matter if it was a figure of speech or not. the "f" word, for instance, has also entered the language. instead of saying it...we type F*** or what ever...

so even though a word is a word doesn't mean that you should go around saying it. it sounds uneducated when someone uses words like that all the time or even some of the time. when a young child says a word like that, they are corrected "it isn't nice to say that....."
i was just saying that it isn't nice to say something like that.

my sister was just rediagnosed with autism and we have since had a really hard time finding suitable education means for her. the school she has been in for the past 13 years or so was intended for children that are multiply handicapped, which is what we first thought she was.

no she is not going to Ireland...why would she be out of curiousity? and how old are the kids that your wife teaches? my mom is having a heck of a time with the school district about finding the correct placing for her. i know you don't live in the states, but if you or your wife would know of any schooling for autistic kids in the US, please let me know on the pm.. it would be a real big help. i give your wife a lot of credit for teaching students with autism. it is hard work, but really rewarding. tell her to keep up the good work.

Kelli