View Single Post
Old 10-28-2003, 03:34 PM
RSK

Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
RSK,

Oil in the exhaust and on rear bumper is either valve seals or piston rings. Unfortunately for you it is not a typical problem for an SVX - you will not be able to find much experience on this forum.

Are you sure it is oil? Do you have to top up engine oil between
the oil changes? How much and how often?
Thanks for the input. The reason why I assume it's oil on the bumper (beside the fact that it's greasy ) is because I have to top up oil. the amount depends on how hard I am on the pedal. 2 liter in 1000 km - I guess that's a lot. of course I've driven only like 4000 km ever since I'm aware of this (I've brought a car with the problem) and this will be fixed in the next couple of weeks for sure just to prevent further damage. Is it any other way to find out it's not the piston rings other than measuring compression?

The reason I'm asking this is because I have to buy a lot of stuff before the job gets done (oil pump, water pump, etc) but if it's the pistons, it just not worth all the trouble: I'm gonna dump the car and get another one. Got it for ridiculous money anyway and I definitely wanted to give it a shot.

Quote:
lambda sonde it is called Oxygen Sensor here. You have two sensors in the car. They do not like to be dirty on outside - they
have to breeze fresh air in order to function properly.
Again, thanks. I've checked already on the exhaust system blueprint... would be a possible solution to clean the O2 sensor or does it have to be exchanged should the power light test prove the sensor is gone?

Cheers, RSK