View Single Post
Old 01-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. 110,000 isn't that bad for an automatic trans, just be glad you don't drive a Ford or Chrysler, most of them don't fare as well.

Subaru isn't the only company to use that transmission. Ford, Mazda and if I'm not mistaken Nissan also use variations of the 4EAT.

I wonder if the wiring harness was hitting the body before the transmission work was done. It would seem that there would have been a plethora of problems if they were shorting to ground. I would certainly expect the power light to be stuck on, indicating a failure. On newer cars any malfunction of the solenoid circuits will set a code. You might want to check with Chris Debban here and see what he thinks - I'm not familiar with the routing of the harness and whether or not it's common for that to happen.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with a used harness, provided it's in good condition. It sure as heck beats leaving your car parked out back while everyone decides on the next step.

If I were you I'd be on the horn with the Aamco corporate office. Tell them if they don't have your car repaired and back in your hands within a day or two you'll have no recourse but to make as much noise as possible. Check Everyshadeofblue's locker for a letter he wrote to his dealer and ended up with a free engine. It should help you get your thoughts together. I know you're frustrated as hell right now but stick to the facts, keep your head clear and know what you want.

Beav