Thread: Easy $20
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 10:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: The front seal,

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
I'm sure Andrew is just frustrated (as anyone would be) and expressing that he is open to any and all sugestions. Tom
Oh, I have no doubt Andrew is frustrated - but he expressed more than that, in my opinion. I just don't think taking it out on us was necessary.

Also, this is a technical question so I'm moving it to the tech q&a forum.

Anyway, thanks for the specifics. So when you say the car runs fine on the lift, is it just in gear at idle speed, or is the tech making sure it runs on the lift in a wider range of operating conditions?

The reason I ask is this: the only two things I can imagine causing this are:

1. The stresses of operating under load. (I think that's unlikely unless the transmission's case is actually damaged)

2. The higher line pressure.

Either way it sounds to me like a problem with the tranny. How did the ring and pinion break? Was it a sudden failure while driving or were these parts just worn in an odd way and no longer serviceable? Could debris from thse failures have entered the fluid path? I don't even know whether or not that's possible.

I'll look at my FSMs when I go home for lunch to get a better idea of the problem. But if the original problem was a broken ring and pinion, I wonder if the pump is okay or if it was damaged either by the failure or the subsequent repair.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE