View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Ride Height & Suspension Woes

My latest project entailed restoring the rear suspension of my svx, which included the following:

OEM wheel bearings - replaced with hi-temp grease
Inner and Outer bushings on stock front and rear lateral links (reused stock lateral links, simply pressed out old and pressed in new bearings)
Motorsport Drop Springs W/ New OEM Factory Struts
rear lateral links
swap bar bushings
trailing link bushing - Polish bearing (Red)

I also installed motorsport drop springs on the front with New OEM factory struts.

The problem is that the ride height is off on all four corners...Driver's Front is 14 25"; Passenger Front is 14.75"; Driver's Rear is 13.5" and Passenger's rear is 14.25" I am measuring from the bottom of the center hub cap on Enkei Shogun rims to the outer edge of the fender. I have 225 45 R17 tires.

I have checked and rechecked the springs and am certain that the fronts are correct. The fronts are shorter then than rear springs and the front springs are also shaved on the top most rung where the spring would meet the strut mount...just as the OEM springs. I have also double checked the rear springs and every component that I replaced and no glaring bends, breaks or misplaced parts. The trunk is empty so weight would not affect one side or the other. I am at a total lose and am thinking I may have received defective struts? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I attempted to have an alignment done today, foolishly thinking that may miraculously solve my ride height problems. It did not. The rear caster could not even come into spec.

Current Measurements (after alignment) are
Left Rear (Camber) -0.3 (.1 - -1.4)
Left Rear (Toe) .21 (-.12 - .12)

Right Rear (Camber) -1.0 (-1.4 - .1)
Right Rear (Toe) -.29 (-1.4 - .1)

Left Front (Camber) -.4 (.3 - -1.2)
Left Front (Caster) 4.6 (5.6 - 4.1)
Left Front (Toe) -.02 (-.12 - .12)

Right Front (Camber) -1.5 (-1.2 - .3)
Right Front (Caster) 4.8 (4.1 - 5.6)
Right Front (Toe) -.03 (.12 - -.12)

At this point I think getting an alignment in spec is impossible without first correcting the ride height issue. I thought I had by chance mistaken a rear spring for a front spring when installing...but after re checking and dissassembling each strut assembly I am certain they are correct.

Rear struts mounts were also considered a possible issue. The manual states that the mount with a yellow arrow is LEFT (Driver's Side) and the mount with the white arrow is RIGHT (Passenger's Side). All springs are seated snug against the notch in the strut perch.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what the issue may be or something I may have overlooked would be appreciated. I'd hate to take it to the dealer at this point, but if I have too :-/