Thread: Tranny removal
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 10:02 AM

I had forgotten about the exhaust

If you want to try to keep the old stuff, I recommend you acquire some PB Blaster penetrating catalyst. Spray it liberally and more than once (preferably over night then again next day). It's the best I've found - your mileage may vary.

The other thing people complain about (see svx_commuter's input above) is getting the 4 bolts off holding the TC to the flexplate. I did it from the top. I manually turned the throttle and wedged it fully open with an extra scredriver. Then I used a straight, 12mm racheting box end wrench to get the bolts loose (and tightened later).

I also used a motorcycle jack to hold the tranny as it came out/went back in. With the car on jack stands a traditional tranny jack won't work (or at least any I had access to). The bike jack has two flat arms that the pan will sit on to be reasonably stable, and rollers to get it out and in under the car.

Finally, since you will have what I assume are important parts of your body (to you and/or a significant other) under there, please make sure you use good jackstands, not a jack to hold it in the air. I even got some concrete blocks to locate in a few positions just in case a jackstand decided to go on vacation.

Of course if you can bench press 3500+, then feel free to ignore this last bit

Last edited by lee; 08-20-2002 at 10:06 AM.